Monthly Archives: December 2009

  • A Very Porky Pie

    December 2009

    I am now officially 80% pork fat. My Dad reckons that the other 20% is made up of beer. Yet again I have stuffed myself to the button-popping threshold of what is socially and physically acceptable and gained more than I care to mention. It all started with this pork pie. Every year mum and […]

  • Glazed Ham

    December 2009

    Olive Magazine asked me to ‘challenge Gordon’ in their December issue, with a Christmas recipe of my choosing; I went for the glazed ham. A reader and their mates then tested both his recipe and mine and decided on a winner. The idea of a straight ‘glaze-off’ seemed a bit dull and predictable so I […]

  • Food From The Rye: Callaloo

    December 2009

    I was worried that me and callaloo were doomed from the start. The soup always seems to contain a healthy amount of okra and I had a problem with this for two reasons: firstly, those hairy little fingers irritate the hell out of my (thankfully not so hairy) little fingers, bringing me out in a […]

  • Baked Egg with Anchovy Soldiers

    December 2009

    My favourite snack for approximately the last ten years has been a soft boiled egg with anchovy soldiers. Fact. That’s a long time in service; I feel I’ve earned my stripes and the right to experiment with something that is nigh-on perfect already. It’s time to take things to the next level. A baked egg […]

  • Salt Fish Fritters

    December 2009

    The Jamaican name for this dish, ‘Stamp ‘n Go’ is said to come from the behaviour of impatient, fritter-hungry customers who would stamp their feet for attention and then simply leave the shop if they didn’t get it. Leave without the fritters? Eh? There must be another part to that story; I’ve only eaten them […]

  • Pheasant Soup

    December 2009

    As I considered the plump little pheasant in my hands, my mind immediately jumped to a memory of casserole topped with a curly wurly crust of fresh dough – the bread risen and baked to a fluffy top, ready for ripping and dunking into the gamey broth below. Then I remembered my habit of lending […]

  • Food From the Rye: Okazi (Afang) Soup

    December 2009

    As I stood at the butcher’s counter waiting for my goat meat to be diced, I could sense the man next to me staring intensely. A tap on my shoulder came next and I turned to face a big smile and twinkling eyes. “You are buying goat meat?” he enquired, “but usually it is only […]

  • Food from the Rye: Salt Fish

    December 2009

    Peckham’s Rye Lane is a right higgle piggle of shops. Traders pile on top of one another; get your mobile phone unlocked while you wait for the butcher to dice your goat meat. There are towers of unusual vegetables, mountains of scotch bonnet chillies, the odd box of African land snails and of course yams, […]

  • Snazz Sichuan, King’s Cross

    December 2009

    When a friend announced that his birthday meal would be at Snazz Sichuan in King’s Cross, I grinned from ear to ear and swiftly ticked another one off the hit list. These types of meal are only possible with groups of three or more really, otherwise you can never order enough different hot and cold […]